Sunday, June 6, 2010

Technology

Implementing Technology
Technology is meant to aid teaching not replace lecture . In my classroom technology is a tool in presenting my lesson, for example I use PowerPoint to present my notes and if I refer to YouTube for a video it’s only once or twice ,three times at most. I don’t want to saturate my class and lecture with multimedia because instead of it being a medium for instruction it becomes a distraction (something I don’t want).

Some examples of traditional technology would be what I call R2-D2( Overhead projector), LCD projector and printers , the first machine is used to make wording on a transparency appear larger, a Liquid Crystal Display is a type of video projector that displays images and computer data on a screen or some other flat surface. An emerging technology is Smart board which is interactive learning and involves your sense of touch. The two other links pertain to labs that my class has completed, these links demonstrate how multimedia, can be shown in a classroom without being a distraction.

When it comes to technology the best thing to do is not to be apprehensive. The reason why is state this because if you let your reluctance keep you from learning something new you could possible miss out on a an amazing learning experience. Technology isn’t as scary as you think, tip 1& 2 make Google and YouTube your best friend. Google can help you find an answer to just about anything and YouTube can demonstrate that answer with helpful tutorials.

I use various sites and software to develop my lessons, before I can actually use it I put it through a series of test, I make sure that I only use sites where the extension is edu, gov, ed or org. Next I make sure the site or software has been updated and has a homepage explaining the origins and the developer. Next I check to see if the software is free and I run it through a program that makes sure it’s not a virus. I browse through the site making sure the information is accurate and relevant. I want to make sure my resources are correct because if not the lecture looses all accountability, so I make sure my sources are solid.
Below are 2 links to podcasts of Labs we have completed in my Biology Class


Oxygen Lab http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEcBQurjUQ4&feature=related
Meiosis Lab http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5g5hjZNLpQ&feature=related

No comments: